Sam at Outer Banks

Sam at Outer Banks

I've been to a few beaches in my life. Miami, Emerald Isle, Charleston, and a few others. The Outer Banks, for instance, is quite an odd place. While not my favorite coastline, it is the most interesting one I've been to. I went there for a week of middle school back in 2015. From sand dunes to lighthouses, here was my experience of the outer banks.

We spent the first night (as well as the rest of our nights) at a hotel in Nags Head .We first arrived at Body Island Lighthouse, a lighthouse with a horizontal striped design. We were not allowed to climb it because it was under maintenance. I learned that the lighthouse was the third version of itself, built in 1872. We then drove all the way down to Hatteras Island to see Cape Hatteras Lighthouse, which is the tallest brick lighthouse in the United States. We were able to climb it, and we saw the whole island beneath us.

The next day, we went to the Wright Brothers' National Memorial in Kitty Hawk. There were many airplanes in the field and in the museum. The next place we visited was Jockey's Ridge State Park, the tallest sand dune in the eastern United States. The dune was so large, you could roll down it like it was a hill. The next day we headed home after visiting Roanoke Island. We went through the Exhibit,  but I had known everything about it ahead of time.

I've also been to Currituck Beach and Corolla in 2013 before the class trip. The lighthouse was surprisingly shorter than I had imagined. The scenery of Corolla and Currituck Beach was astounding.
The upper Outer Banks was a real treat to visit. I had been wanting to visit Cape Hatteras ever since I had heard of it. It was very soothing, being at the beach again. The Outer Banks is honestly one of my favorite places, and I've only been there once.

Comments