Sam at D.C.

Sam at D.C.

Back in 2014, my middle school made a trip to go to Washington D.C., and we were there a full weekend. In the capital of the United States, we went to different memorials, exhibits, and buildings. I have only been here once, and if I'm being completely honest, it was alright, but not fantastic. It was interesting seeing the White House, sure, but for the most part, it was a tad overrated.

The first place we arrived at was at the Capitol building, which was on Friday. This place was large and we got to walk on the walkway. The building was a little smaller than I had imagined, but it was still very neat to view in person. After we had spent the night in a hotel on Friday, we woke up on Saturday, had breakfast, and went to the President John F. Kennedy Gravesite. The gravesite was filled with graves, and we all got a chance to see the JFK Eternal Flame. It made me feel kind of sad, but I was curios why the flame wasn't going out. Next we drove by the Washington Monument. We then went to the Lincoln Memorial, which was across from the Washington Monument. It was a long set of stairs, but it was amazing to be standing where Martin Luther King Jr. had also stood.

The next day, we went to the Smithsonian Museum. I am not a fan of museums, so my hopes weren't high when I walked in there. However, to my surprise, it wasn't too bad. It was full of history, vehicles, animal information, and more. We later visited the Holocaust Museum, which make my heart sink considering that the catastrophe that was the Holocaust actually happened. We ended the trip at a restaurant, and then we all went home.

Overall, D.C. was exciting, but it was a little overrated, despite being the U.S. capital. Don't get me wrong, though, I don't think any of it was bad. It is a place I want to go to again, and a place that I will remember.

Comments